Google Adds a Veteran-Led Attribute to Google Business Profiles
In March of this year Google added a “women-led” attribute to Google Business Profiles (fka Google My Business). Now they have added an attribute for businesses run by veterans.
A blog post from Google announced the new attribute:
Google is making it easier to identify your local business as veteran-led on Google Search and Maps. If your business is owned, led, or founded by a veteran, you can enable this “Veteran-Led” attribute through Google My Business, and it will appear on your Google listing alongside other details like “Has Wifi” or “Outdoor Seating.”
Women-led and veteran-led attributes are controlled by the business owner and can be edited in the Google Business Profile of the business. (Some attributes the community identifies or defines.) They appear under the “about” tab.
Directly from Google, here’s how to edit or update your business attributes:
- Sign in to your Google Business Profile account.
- If you have multiple locations, open the location you’d like to manage.
- From the menu, click Info.
- Find the “Attributes” section and click the Pencil icon . You can search for the attribute you want to add or scroll through all the available options for your business.
- When you’re finished updating your attributes, click Apply.
- New attributes will now be visible to customers who find your business on Google Search and Maps.
Based on US government data, Google says that there are roughly 2.5 million small businesses owned or majority owned by veterans. That’s roughly 10 percent of the total number of US small businesses in the country today. While veteran-led and woman-led are currently the only two business owner identity attributes available, Google says that it will be adding more over time.
Be sure to download our free, step-by-step Google Business Profile Checklist and learn how to claim, verify, optimize and manage all of your Google Business Profile features and information.
If you’d like to get more free marketing tips like this one, be sure to Subscribe to our list at the bottom of this page. You’ll be kept up to date with our latest digital marketing tips for business owner’s and marketing consultants.
Contact us today if you would like to speak with someone about how SEO Rocket can help with your business’s digital marketing needs. We’ll get back to you shortly!